Workshop: Creating Your Business Presence Online
Part 1 – Website
Don’t pay someone else to create and manage your website! Learn how to register, create and customize your own basic business website. Maintain full control over the look and content of your site while learning basic skills in a hand-on approach.
Thursday, January 12, 2017
8:30 am – 5 pm
$475 per business, up to 3 class attendees per business
Limited to 5 businesses, workshop cost includes lunch and refreshments.
- Laptop with wifi card
- Basic computer proficiency
What you will get with this workshop:
- Domain name (ie YourBusiness.com), with one full year of registration – valued at $25*
- A business email address with your new domain (ie sales@Yourbusiness.com) with 1 GB of online mail storage
- One full year of web hosting for your new site, including WordPress, advanced security, backup, and premium themes – valued at $225**
- Hands-on training in customizing and maintaining your web site.***
- Lunch and refreshments included
8:30 am Introductions
- Who is westXdesign?
- Introduce yourself and your business
- What do you envision for your website?
9 am Domain Name Registration
- What is a domain name, how does it work, and why do I need it?
- Name searching and availability
- Securing and registering your domain
10:15 am Web site hosting
- What is web hosting and why do I need it?
- Set up your new domain name on a web host
- Create your business email address
- Access your new business email
- What is WordPress?
- Install and configure WordPress on your new site
12 pm Lunch (included)
1 pm Customizing you new web site
- Logging in to your website for the first time.
- Customizing the basics in WordPress
- What are WordPress plugins?
- Installing plugins
- Recommended premium plugins (included)
- backup buddy
- security pro
- rotating text
- rotating images
2 pm Break
2:15 pm Themes
- What are Themes?
- Selecting a theme
- Customizing your theme
3:30 pm Add a contact form to your web site
4 pm Follow up
- Additional assistance
* Domain registrations are subject to name availability, and are valid for one year. Renewal of your domain name is required to maintain ownership and access. You are not required to renew the domain name at the end of one year if you no longer wish to maintain it. You will be able to transfer your registration to any entity and are not required to maintain registration with westXdesign. Fees for various registrars vary. $25 per year If you wish to renew your registration with westXdesign, If you maintain hosting with westXdesign, your domain registration renewal is included in your annual hosting renewal.
** Web sites require hosting service. Renewal of hosting is required to maintain access to your web site. You are not required to renew hosting at the end of one year if you no longer wish to maintain the web site. You will be able to transfer your website to any hosting provider and are not required to maintain hosting services with westXdesign. Fees for hosting vary. westXdesign basic annual hosting fees are as follows:
$125 per year if you do have your website registered through westXdesign, You will be required to maintain your domain registration. Inactive domain registration will result in your website not being accessible. westXdesign will not maintain your domain name registration, DNS, or access and is not liable for any DNS related issues you encounter.
$135 per year includes domain registration. westXesign is responsible for the DNS of your website and maintaining the relationship between your domain name and hosting.
*** Ongoing site assistance is not included. Consultation, training, and update/maintenance services are available from westXdesign if you need it at a rate of $75 per hour.