A touchy subject – meetings! Who hasn’t wasted MUCH more than 2 hours a week sitting in on meetings you didn’t need to be part of, or one without an agenda that rambled on and on without any clear goals, started late, and ended even later… bad meetings suck precious time from everyone’s week, so start correcting them today.
Simple, effective tips to better meetings!
Perhaps this should be printed and displayed in every meeting room. And as I have said before, before even scheduling a meeting, decide if a meeting is even necessary in the first place. And only invite the people who NEED to be there.
- Have an agenda.
- Arrive a few minutes early.
- Start, and end, on time, no matter who hasn’t arrived yet.
- Come ready, have all of your needed materials and data WITH you.
- Don’t answer emails or calls during the meeting.
- Bring something to take notes with. And take notes!
- Stay on topic and don’t needlessly interrupt. This causes the discussion to take longer than necessary.
- Follow up on needed items within 24 hours.
There! Isn’t that better? Instead of a waste of time, you have reached a goal.